Date:      Tue, 19 Sep 2000 09:51:41 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Nick Sayer <nsayer@quack.kfu.com>
To:        Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vmnet, bridging and netgraph

On Fri, 15 Sep 2000, Archie Cobbs wrote:

> The ng_bridge(4) node treats all links as the same, whether they are
> pointing "up" or "down", so it wouldn't know how to do that. I guess
> it could contain logic to probe each peer to see if it's an ng_ether
> node, and if so, remember it. That's probably worth looking in to..

The change to ng_ether committed last night fixes this. Using ng_bridge
now works at least as well as the traditional bridge stuff. I still think
something's just a touch whacky in if_tap, but it works for everything
except being a dhcp client of the Solaris machine at the office.

> You'd need ng_ether.ko and ng_bridge.ko, both of which depend on
> netgraph.ko... ?

Doing that, I end up with _two_ copies of ng_bridge installed, but if
I don't, then I get no copies. But if I try other combinations it just
flat doesn't work. Perhaps it's because I am kldloading netgraph.ko
instead of using 'options NETGRAPH' in my kernel?

Vladimir: Want to take a whack at morphing the vmware.sh script
to support ng_bridge.ko where available? :-)

Maybe it's time to have a bunch of different vmware.sh scripts and have
the port dialogs let you select the one you want:

1. No networking
2. Host only networking
3. Netgraph bridging
4. old fashioned bridging
5. 2 and 4 without if_tap (does the port support this anymore?)