Date:      Sat, 10 Feb 2001 10:55:37 GMT
From:      "John Van Boxtel" <jvanboxtel@kimptongroup.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Seemless Proxy

Currently at one of my employers properties, I have setup a FreeBSD box with
DHCP, NATD, IPFW, to provide access to the internet for our guests at no
charge in the guest rooms.  This was done after the company that was
providing this for a cost, went out of business.

The only problem with my solution is that it requires that the guest turn
DHCP on for them to get an IP address.  The way the last company did it,
they used a piece of software (on Linux) called InterProxy from
ElasticNetworks so that even guests with static IP's set could get online
without having to change anything.

The only thing I can find out about how it did this was this blurb:
    "InterProxy accomplishes this by listening for the Address Resolution
    Protocol a client sends out when looking for its gateway router. In
    PC Week Labs' tests, the InterProxy flawlessly emulated our Internet
    gateway router, acting as a network translation box between the
    clients and the real router."

Does anyone know how this can be done in FreeBSD?  I did I search on ARP,
PROXY, and got a bunch of pages about Linux and a program called proxyarp
which was talking about subnetting a subnet, but I dont think that is what I
need...

Thanks in adv.  NOTE: I am not on the mailing list, please reply direct.

John Van Boxtel