Date:      Sat, 4 Apr 2015 13:54:42 +0100
From:      "Robert N. M. Watson" <rwatson@freebsd.org>
To:        Hans Petter Selasky <hps@selasky.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-net@freebsd.org" <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Patch to reduce use of global IP ID value(s) to avoid leaking information

On 4 Apr 2015, at 09:40, Hans Petter Selasky <hps@selasky.org> wrote:

>> On 04/03/15 23:36, Gleb Smirnoff wrote:
>> The documentation on net.inet.ip.random_id is solid and doesn't need the
>> text from your commit.
>=20
> Let me detail a bit more. The old text describing "random_id" clearly give=
s the wrong impression. It says that information is only leaking one way. It=
 is for sure very misleading. Information can leak both from the inside to t=
he outside and from the outside to the inside. And also between two outsider=
s or two insiders. That's what's scares me.
>=20
> Try using my testapp if you don't believe me.
>=20
> Given that the ICMP limit is 200 per second by default, I would guess that=
 199 bits could at maximum be transferred per second in between two parties u=
sing the proper algorithms.
>=20
> If I myself was setting up a firewall, this is the kind of stuff I would l=
ike to know about in advance.

Covert and side channels are inherent to the design of contemporary processo=
rs and operating systems -- via caches, memory bandwidth, OS scheduling, sta=
tistics, clock drift due to temperature, protocol counters, rate limiters, e=
tc. The inherent difficulty of addressing malicious information-leak mechani=
sms means that our time is far better invested in trying to document and mit=
igate side channels than covert channels, whose existence must be taken for g=
ranted. And it's not just the IP ID field: almost any practical firewall con=
figuration will be susceptible to lots of leaks of this sort. For example, r=
ate limiting ICMP replies, TCP RST packets, etc, are all potential covert ch=
annels. And that is before you start letting through application-level proto=
cols like DNS.

Instead, we simply need warning that the fundamental function of a firewall -=
- of communication as much as blocking or it would be a dual-homed host not a=
 firewall -- makes it susceptible to covert channels by design. Firewalls ar=
e about limiting overt communication -- if you want to limit covert communic=
ation you need very different hardware and software designs.

Robert=