Date:      Mon, 26 Feb 1996 20:55:56 -0800
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org>
To:        Marcelino Enriquez <marc@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>
Cc:        mars@pasteur.eecs.berkeley.edu, questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: SCSI Support

>As Justin T. Gibbs would have said it:
>>
>> >Hi there my name is Marcelino and I have encountered some problems with
>> >installing FreeBSD on my system.
>> >
>> >Here is the Specs
>> >
>> >Motherboard - lightning series w/ built-in SCSI support using an Adaptic
>> >7840 chip
>>
>> I would guess you mean a 7850.  Its not currently supported (as you found
>> out), but work is in progress to try and get aic7850 support functional
>> in the ahc driver.  The problems with the 7850 have been very elusive
>> though, so I can't say when the problems will be fixed.
>>

>Hi Justin, Thanks for the response. I was just wondering if you knew
>about when i should look forward to a FreeBSD distribution that will work.
>Otherwise I'll just grab another SCSI card for now.

I just regained a PCI machine recently, so as soon as David Greenman
returns my 7850 card, I'll be looking into the problem again.  I can't
say when we will have support for it, but hopefully before 2.1.5 goes
out the door.

>BTW How many people are working on the scsi part of the kernel?

For the aic7xxx driver, that would be me, myself, and I.  The
rest of the SCSI system would be Joerg Wunch, Peter Dufault, Stephan
Esser, Julian Elisher, and me.

If you can afford one, the 2940 is really nice.

Oh, and if you get your self up and running to the point where you
can compile kernels, I may be able to ship you patches that work
on the 7850 before there is boot media generally availible with
the patches.

Sorry it took so long for me to get back to you... been really swamped
at work.

--
Justin T. Gibbs
  FreeBSD: Turning PCs into workstations