Date:      Tue, 22 Jan 2002 17:02:36 -0800
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Hyong-Youb Kim <hykim@cs.rice.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: uniquely identifying a file

> What would be a unique id of a file on a local system? Is the full path of
> a file the only way to uniquely identify a file?

This depends on the domain within which you need the uniquifier.  Note
that a single file can make multiple appearances within the directory
namespace, so two different paths can refer to the same file.

Within the filesystem, the inode number is unique, however you can't
(trivially) look a file up by inode number (as that would violate the
directory-based permissions scheme).

> Is there any place I can
> get some info on the funtion textvp_fullpath? Thanks.

Read the source. 8)

Regards,
Mike

--
Go where you may, search where you will, roam throughout all the
monarchies and despotisms of the Old World, travel through South