Date:      Thu, 15 Jul 1999 11:41:51 -0700
From:      "David Schwartz" <davids@webmaster.com>
To:        "Terry Lambert" <tlambert@primenet.com>, "Tani Hosokawa" <unknown@riverstyx.net>
Cc:        <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Known MMAP() race conditions ... ?

> There is no "require" about it.  Threads are a tool, and equivalent
> (and lower overhead) tools exist.
>
> The idea that threads are necessary at all is a psychological
> crutch.  It has more to do with the inability of programmers
> to maintain state in a per connection structure, rather than
> on a stack.  It's a programmer problem, in other words, based
> in procedural (rather than data flow) based ways of thinking.

	Okay, then, explain to me how you do 3,000 concurrent 'gethostbyname' calls
without writing your own resolver. Explain to me how you make a webserver
that doesn't block if a disk write gets delayed without using one process
per request.

	I will admit that there are always ways to avoid threads. Sure. There was
no task that was impossible before they existed. But paradigm bigotry is as
silly as operating system bigotry.

	DS