Date:      Wed, 10 Sep 2003 12:30:17 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Harti Brandt <brandt@fokus.fraunhofer.de>
To:        Adam Laurie <adam@algroup.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-atm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: which ATM card

On Tue, 9 Sep 2003, Adam Laurie wrote:

AL>hi,
AL>
AL>is there a comprehensive list of which cards are supported? the hardware
AL>notes
AL>(http://www3.dk.freebsd.org/releases/5.1R/hardware-i386.html#AEN1639)
AL>don't mention the adaptec card which i've seen mentioned elsewhere, so
AL>i'm not convinced it's up to date...

The 5940 works just fine with the en(4) driver.

Sorry, writing the ATM stuff for the handbook is still on my TODO list...

AL>my requirement is to provide a simple point to point link over stm-1,
AL>and i will be placing the devices at both ends so there shouldn't be any
AL>compatibility issues. we will be routing only ip traffic, probably
AL>configured as 802.1Q VLAN.
AL>
AL>please copy me in to replies as i'm not subscribed to this list...

What traffic contract do you have? If you need CBR I would recommend a
ForeHE-155 (see hatm(4)). These are now cheap on e-bay. If you need VBR
you should stick to an IDT77252 based card - the ProATM cards are very
fine (www.prosum.fr) (see patm(4)). For UBR either card should do it. For
ABR you can use either the ProATM or the HE155.

harti
--
harti brandt,
http://www.fokus.fraunhofer.de/research/cc/cats/employees/hartmut.brandt/private