Date:      Fri, 13 May 2005 17:30:12 +0200
From:      Andre Oppermann <andre@freebsd.org>
To:        Jeremie Le Hen <jeremie@le-hen.org>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Dummynet/ipnat interaction breakage

Jeremie Le Hen wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 02, 2005 at 12:05:11PM +0100, Jeremie Le Hen wrote:
> > > Take a look at PRs 61685 and 76539. Hope that helps.
> >
> > Well, I was aware of the first one (I'm doing shaping on my internal
> > interface as a workaround), but not the second one.  The second one
> > is very new and this could indeed be the same problem I encountered.
> >
> > It seems that the import of IPFilter 3.4.35 in the middle of 2004 is
> > the source of the problem because when I switch back to 3.4.31 on
> > 4.11, everything works.
> >
> > I Cc'ed andre@ since he had not took over 76539, maybe he's not aware
> > of it.
> >
> > Andre, what can you tell us about the drawbacks of the proposed patches ?
> > I think there must be some as they would have been merged if this was
> > not the case.
> >
> > Are there any change to have this fixed in RELENG_4 ?  I know that no
> > more releases are scheduled in this branch, but there is no obvious
> > reason to let a bug live there IMHO.
>
> 4.1 is still broken.  I understand that RELENG_4 is at end of its life
> but ipnat/dummynet interaction further breakage between 4.10 and 4.11
> (due to IPFilter 3.4.35 import) is, IMHO, not acceptable for FreeBSD,
> especially RELENG_4 which is a must in term of stability and release
> engineering.  My workaround was to go back to RELENG_4_10 branch in
> src/sys/contrib/ipfilter.
>
> Given that *there are* patches in these PR, although we should admit
> these are not examples of long term solution, is there any chance to
> get this commited into RELENG_4 to assist this old good branch until
> its funeral ?

The problem is not to break something while 'fixing' this problem.
I haven't looked at the proposed patch but not the entire code path
in either 4.11 or 5.4.  However it seems very likely to me that this
'fix' breaks ipfw one_pass/multi_pass.  In ipfw/dummynet you may
want packets coming from dummynet to continue with the next ipfw
rule.  Unconditionally setting M_SKIP_FIREWALL is going to break it.

--
Andre