Date:      Tue, 7 Nov 1995 18:34:14 -0800 (PST)
From:      dhawk@netcom.com (David H)
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   More on How to Use DES

OK, I got DES installed and copied over the password file and all my
people can login now, so that's good. BUT when I try to compile
sysadmin/security programs they fail saying they can't find _crypt
[not the exact error message]. I untar'd des.aa and compared its
/usr/lib with the 'real' one now and all get installed properly.
What did I miss?

Several of you sent me the procedure to install DES, and I thought I
could write it up in a more complete  description of the processs:
1. get des.aa from an ftp site if you're inside the US/Canada.
mkdir /usr/des    and copy  des.aa  to that directory.
cd /usr/des   and do   tar xfvzp des.aa
Take a look at the files you have to install.
[It was setup to have to do the tar from root (/)].
2. backup your system
3. Use vipw to change root and toor in the password file to have
no password, just in case things go wrong --   root::0:0:
[root and toor will have :: after the name of the account].
4. reboot and when it pauses for kernel options, use -s
to boot single user. Mount all your partitions --
mount /     mount /usr     and any others.
5. cd /usr/lib   and you can mkdir OLD  and put all the *crypt*
files/links in there. Then mv /usr/des/usr/lib/* /usr/lib
6. copy /usr/des/bin/* and /usr/des/sbin/init  to  /bin
and /sbin/init (you might need to mv /sbin/init /sbin/init.old
first).
7. reboot

Adding the old password file from another system.
1. put the password file in a secure directory. You'll be in
a shadow password/db setup from here on out so no need to give
someone access to the file to run crack on.
2.  Do  man 5 passwd  and cut the awk script from the end into
a file called  awk.pass  and then do
	awk -f awk.pass old.passwd > new.passwd
3. Use  vipw  and read in  new.passwd at the end of the file.
Remove duplicate accounts. Exit vipw
4. Use ALT-F2 to login on a different pseudo-terminal and
check that it worked. If it did, use ALT-F1 to go back to the
first window and set the password on root and toor. Check logging
in to those accouts on ALT-F2 again.

And you're done. One thing to watch for: some systems get weird
if you put a blank line in the password file, so don't do that.  ;-)