Date:      Sat, 04 Aug 2001 11:05:43 +0200
From:      Andre Oppermann <oppermann@telehouse.ch>
To:        Jasper Wallace <jasper@ivision.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 303,000 routes in kernel

Jasper Wallace wrote:

> On Fri, 3 Aug 2001, Andre Oppermann wrote:
>
> > Hello guys
> >
> > have got a small problem. I'm running a secondary DNS server for the
> > ccTLD .ch here in Switzerland.
>
> >  # vmstat -m
> >  Memory statistics by type                          Type  Kern
> >         Type  InUse MemUse HighUse  Limit Requests Limit Limit Size(s)
> >      routetbl607857 85480K  85480K 85480K  2420956    0     0
> > 16,32,64,128,256
> >  Memory Totals:  In Use    Free    Requests
> >                 91073K   2948K    786316696
>
> If you want to wack up the amount of ram used for the routing table you can
> adjust the amount of ram the kernel uses for it's stuff with something like
> this in your kernel config file:
>
> # 1/2 RAM for the kernel - lets us have full routes.
> options        VM_KMEM_SIZE_SCALE="(2)"
>
> If anyone knows a better way to persuade the kernel to use more space for
> the routing table i'd love to know.

On some machines that do routing and have a full view in the kernel I
do this is in /boot/loader.conf:
 kern.vm.kmem.size="128000000"   # Sets the size of kernel memory
(bytes)

But this is not very optimal because only half of the kernel memory
can be used for the routing table. The other half (64MB here) is mostly
empty. I'l like to know if there is a way to adjust this ratio in the
kernel so I get 96MB for the routing table and 32MB for the kernel
itself.

--
Andre