Date:      Sun, 7 Sep 1997 18:02:17 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Yanestra <Yanestra@t-online.de>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems with X-Server SVGA

On Sun, Sep 07, 1997 at 10:01:00AM +0200, Yanestra wrote:
> Dear people from freebsd.org,
>
> I have switched from Linux (Debian distribution) to FreeBSD 2.2.2.

Congratulations :-)

> In the efforts of switching to FreeBSD, I first tried to download
> all the necessary files from an ftp server and put them on floppy
> disk.  When I was finished, fourteen hours after I had started, I
> had to discover that the installation program on the first disk was
> unable to read my floppies.  It seems that nowhere is any comment on
> how the disks have to look like, neither does the installation
> program say anything about this.  It simply terminates its attempts
> to read any media after one try!

To be fair, in almost all the documentation we warn against using
floppies, and that you should format all floppies before using.  I
personally think you should discard all floppies before using, and get
a CD-ROM instead.

> I think this behaviour and the whole situation is quite annoying.

So do I.

> Now I have bought a copy of FreeBSD on a Walnut Creek CD-ROM, and I
> have no problems with this media.

The best thing that you could do.

> But I would like to consult you on another problem.  I have an old ISA Cirrus
> Logic graphics card (542x, the last number always differs, depending on who you
> ask), and I have used it long time with the Linux XF86_SVGA server without any
> problems.  Now I went to setup the X server on my new FreeBSD installation, by
> starting XF86Setup.  It worked well, as usual.  But when I type "startx" I get
> the usual bunch of messages, and the last one says, "clgd5420: invalid chipset".
> Can you tell me the reason for this?

It has to be a congfiguration problem.  The XFree86 under FreeBSD is
the same as under Linux.  I would guess that you've linked the wrong
server.  If that's not the case, why don't you compare your XF86Config
with the one you used under Linux?

> I have no idea, and since the source code (in the modified form) is
> not available, I can't even guess.

Of course the source code is available.  But it would certainly be
heavy going to look for this problem in the source.

Greg