Date:      Tue, 2 May 2000 19:50:18 +0200
From:      Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How good is AMI MegaRAID support?

At 9:51 AM -0700 2000/5/2, Mike Smith wrote:

>  The SmartRAID IV is not the same animal as the Century; the IV is a very
>  old design and should probably be considered in the same vein as the
>  Mylex DAC960PL and the AMI MegaRAID 418.  Functional, but not a
>  performance solution.

	Hrm.  It was my understanding that Decade, Century, Millenium,
etc... were all terms for "levels" of product that were used within
multiple product lines, so that a SmartRAID IV "Century" model would
be less powerful than a SmartRAID IV "Millenium" model, which might
or might not be more or less powerful than a SmartRAID V "Century"
model.

	Comparing <http://www.dpt.com/products/5matrix.html>; against
<http://www.dpt.com/products/prod_raid.html>, this seems to bear out.
So, when you say "SmartRAID Century", you need to specify which model
of SmartRAID Century it is that you're talking about.

	In fact, when comparing the various different models of SmartRAID
V "Millenium" controllers at
<http://www.dpt.com/products/5matrix.html>, it is clear to me that
you need to be even more specific -- you need to mention whether it's
the 32-bit or 64-bit controller, and if it's 64-bit, you need to
specify whether it's the Ultra2 SCSI controller or the FibreChannel
controller.

	Of course, you also need to specify things such as how many host
channels there are, how much NVRAM there is, etc....

	My previous testing was done with the SmartRAID IV PM3334UW
controller with 64MB ECC NVRAM and one Ultra-Wide SCSI channel.  And
you know where that page is.  ;-)