Date:      Thu, 22 Apr 1999 14:03:54 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Chris Piazza <cpiazza@home.net>
To:        Andrew Heybey <ath@niksun.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: SMP nerd toy report

On 22-Apr-99 Andrew Heybey wrote:

> I have been very pleased with it so far.  I installed 3.1-RELEASE for
> now.  At 300MHz (66MHz FSB), my worldstone (CFLAGS="-O -pipe",
> make -j8 buildworld, softupdates, /usr/src & /usr/obj on the same
> partition of a Maxtor IDE disk) is about 1:15.
>
> At 450MHz (100MHz FSB) "make -j8 buildworld" takes about 0:55.  (I
> know, bad hacker.  I promise not to submit any PRs unless they can be
> duplicated at 300MHz.)  I expect that if I got a second disk for
> /usr/obj that the build would really fly.
>
> All in all, I'm a happy nerd.

Hmm... IMO that's not a very good speed, though it might prove how I/O based
buildworld is.  My K6-2 300 (100mhz FSB) with 96 megs of ram does a buildworld
in 75-80 minutes without any '-j' flags, and this is a single processor!

---
Chris Piazza    Abbotsford, BC, Canada
           cpiazza@home.net
finger norn@norn.ca.eu.org for PGP key