Date:      Mon, 7 Feb 2000 16:18:28 -0800 (PST)
From:      wellsian <wellsian@caffeine.com>
To:        Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        Matthew Jonkman <jonkman@bussert.com>, Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Root report filtering

I have to agree. At least until you get warmed up to the OS you should
keep an eye on what's going on. Unless someone comes forward with a really
neato tool then setting up filters will take an understanding of what's
included in each report and what is okay to ignore, etc. What I like to do
is let them archive on each system in a monthly rotated mail file, so the
history stays with the system. I read copies that are forwarded to my
admin mailbox with the system name in the header. They're lightning quick
reads, unless something is going on, and that's what you _want_ to know
about. Once things are calmed down I'm sure you can procmail match between
new reports and one of your typical "nothing going on" template versions.

Dave