Date:      Tue, 9 Jan 1996 07:43:55 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@freebsd.org>
To:        Neil Bradley <root@synthcom.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 3c509 troubles

On Tue, 9 Jan 1996, Neil Bradley wrote:

> Well, in the long running saga of me attempting to get my FreeBSD
> 2.1-stable machine running, I've hit a problem with the ep0 driver. The
> machine is a 100MHZ Pentium. After the "npx0 on motherboard - npx0: INT 16
> interface", the machine soft hangs there indefinitely. I tried two
> different configurations (I/O 300/IRQ 11 and I/O 240/IRQ 5) and both
> yielded the same results. If I disable the probe on ep0, the machine boots
> fine (without network access, of course).
>
> I have the version of the 3C509 that doesn't have the BNC or thick wire
> connectors. It just has the TP connector.

	yeah, i have one where i work.  where i worked previously, we had
a dozen systems using this board (3c509-TP).

	are you using the 3com diskette to make the changes to the card.
or the jumpers.  i always used the soft configuration jumper setting on
the card, then used the 3com diskette to set the irq and ioaddr.

	can you provide boot messages?

	once you have the driver working, you will need to add '-link2'
to the ifconfig line.  '-link2' enables the utp port.

Jonathan M. Bresler        FreeBSD Postmaster         jmb@FreeBSD.ORG
play go. ride bike. hack FreeBSD.--ah the good life
i am moving to a new job.                 PLEASE USE: jmb@FreeBSD.ORG