Date:      Fri, 06 Aug 1999 21:43:04 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        brian@pobox.com
Cc:        jkh@zippy.cdrom.com, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Marketing FreeBSD / FreeBSD as a pr

> You're going to trivialize this discussion? This issue here

The conversation started out on a trivial note when you went after an
icon rather than a real shortcoming, I didn't turn it there.

What *would* represent a non-trivial committment on your part would be
a book or magazine article, as I've already mentioned, and if you're
interested in getting yourself out of the realm of trivialities and
into something substantive then the next step is honestly up to you.
Others have asked me for pointers on this topic, so I'll provide a
short, and by no means definitive, list here:

Magazines:

Dr. Dobbs Journal (have published several FreeBSD articles by Sean
Eric Fagin already).

Performance Computing (formerly Unix Review)

SysAdmin Magazine (an especially good target)

Linux Journal (yep, they will publish FreeBSD related stuff also)

BYTE Magazine (the new electronic version - www.byte.com).

PC Magazine

iX Magazin (Germany)

Unix User (Japan)

For contact details, simply purchase a copy of the magazine of your
choice and look on the masthead for the editorial board's address.
You can also contribute to any of the fine FreeBSD-oriented electronic
publications like www.daemonnews.org, www.freebsdzine.org,
www.freebsddiary.com, www.freshmeat.net and even www.slashdot.org.

Books: The following publishers have all expressed an interest in
publishing [additional] books on FreeBSD and are *always* happy to
receive an outline:

IDG Books
Addison-Wesley
O'Reilly
Prentice Hall
SAMS

If you plan on being at LinuxWorld, the Open Source conference or any
upcoming tradeshow, that's also an excellent place to troll for
publishers (and vice-versa).

Finally, on the subject of the artwork used for the CDROMS, I've
already said several times in these mailing lists that "the tailless
waiter" is out and the old artwork back in, it'll simply have to wait
for the publication of 3.3 for people to see this since we obviously
aren't going to recall or stop shipping 3.2 CDs just because people
don't like the artwork. :)

And on that note, I think I've wasted enough time on this discussion
and have nothing more to say on this matter.

- Jordan