Date:      Mon, 22 Jun 1998 11:33:04 -0400 (EDT)
From:      bush doctor <dervish@ikhala.tcimet.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Looking for hackers with netstat

Once upon a time <Geoffrey Robinson> said:
> I've heard that hackers can hide their presence from the who and w commands.
Just a question here.  When one does the following:

1. setenv DISPLAY localmachine:0	# executed on remote host ...
2. xhost +remotemachine			# executed on local host ...
3. command&				# executed on remote host ...
4. <ctrl-D> in original window ...	# executed on remote host ...

I notice that my processes no longer show up in w or who commands ...
is this one of the things hackers are doing to advoid detection.
Processes does still show up with a `ps -axl'

-- bush doctor