Date:      Wed, 1 Apr 1998 19:10:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <ac199@hwcn.org>
To:        freebsd-ports
Subject:   Re: ports/6155: new port: emulators/vice, Versatile Commodore 8-bit Emulator

The following reply was made to PR ports/6155; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Tim Vanderhoek <ac199@hwcn.org>
To: dchapes@ddm.on.ca
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 1998 21:49:18 -0500 (EST)

 On Sat, 28 Mar 1998 dchapes@ddm.on.ca wrote:

 > I wasn't 100% positive about how to do the bin and man symlinks.  What
 > I've done works but may not be the best way.  Someone who knows for sure
 > should take a peek at the Makefile and the packaging list.

 If you think that the manpages need those links, then I can't
 think of any particularly better way of doing it.

 > X.if defined(NOMANCOMPRESS)
 > X	${LN} -sf vice.1 ${PREFIX}/man/man1/x64.1
 > X	${LN} -sf vice.1 ${PREFIX}/man/man1/xvic.1

 Uh, shouldn't this be

 ${LN} -sf ${PREFIX}/man/man1/vice.1 ${PREFIX}/man/man1/x64.1
 etc.

 > X-#if defined __MSDOS__ || (defined HAVE_JOYSTICK_H && defined __linux__)
 > X+#if defined __MSDOS__ || defined HAVE_JOYSTICK_H

 I trust these patches are, of course, submitted to the original
 maintainers...  :-)

 > sed 's/^X//' >./pkg/COMMENT << 'END-of-./pkg/COMMENT'
 > XVICE 0.14.1 = Versatile Commodore 8-bit Emulator

 No.  This should be

 "A versatile Commodore 8-bit emulator."

 or just

 "Versatile Commodore 8-bit emulator."

 I don't know why we put a period there, but...  ;-)

 > sed 's/^X//' >./pkg/DESCR << 'END-of-./pkg/DESCR'
 [...]
 > XThe ROM files in the `C64', `PET' and `VIC20' directories are
 > XCopyright (c) by Commodore Business Machines.

 May we distribute these files (I seem to remember that frodo (or
 whatever other emulator) isn't distributed for the same reason)?
 Do we need to add RESTRICTED?

 > XNOTE:  When compiling on FreeBSD some source files cause gcc to go over the
 > Xdefault memory limits.  Either fix /etc/login.conf or temporaryily adjust
 > Xthe limits with your shells limit command ("unlimit" works in [t]csh).
 > END-of-./pkg/DESCR

 If you'd tried running portlint before submitting the port, it
 might have told you that pkg/DESCR is too long.  That'd be
 because you don't need to include this NOTE.  I don't believe any
 of the other ports that also cause gcc to grow large, Large,
 LARGE, include similar notes.  I think pkg/DESCR is used more by
 people who are installing from binary packagers than by people
 who are building the ports themselves.

 --
  tIM...HOEk
 OPTIMIZATION: the process of using many one-letter variables names