Date:      Tue, 04 Apr 2000 14:58:45 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Mike Wade <mwade@cdc.net>
Cc:        "Jeffrey S. Sharp" <jss@subatomix.com>, freebsd-small <freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Mounting and Corruption Rehashed

In message <Pine.GSO.4.10.10004041623150.22626-100000@server2> Mike
Wade writes:
: I've experienced file system corruption with the DiskOnChip while toggling
: back and forth between mount ro -> rw -> ro.  All of my file data was
: mysteriously replaced with NULL's.  Please let me know your findings
: though. =)

We've had similar corruptions on DiskOnChip w/o the ro -> rw -> ro
junk :-(.

: >From my understanding a journaling filesystem would help out but does not
: exist yet on FreeBSD.  Would the soft updates feature help any with
: preventing corruption due to reboots?

I don't think it would.  However, I don't think that we can enable
soft updates in our product w/o sending money to Kirk.  And even if we
didn't need to, the thing is RO for 99.9999% of the time so it
wouldn't be worth it to include in our kernels in these embedded
things.

Warner