Date:      Tue, 27 Feb 2001 23:57:34 -0500 (EST)
From:      Kostas Magoutis <magoutis@eecs.harvard.edu>
To:        julian@elischer.org
Cc:        freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Logical device instances

The networking protocol in my case has to be in user space (this is
not the usual kind of networking card, it is used to DMA directly to
and from user space).  So, sockets in their present form won't work
for me as they can't be used to multiplex the device without an
intermediate IP protocol.

   From: Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>

   device drivers for networking don't use the
   open/close/read/write interface.
   they use sockets, so that different processs open differnt sockets
   which are multiplexed onto the device using a protocol.

   --
	 __--_|\  Julian Elischer
	/       \ julian@elischer.org