Date:      Thu, 6 Feb 2003 16:35:40 -0600
From:      Glenn Johnson <gjohnson@srrc.ars.usda.gov>
To:        Mike Thompson <mike@atomz.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: xdm across different networks

On Thu, Feb 06, 2003 at 02:21:08PM -0800, Mike Thompson wrote:

> Glenn,
>
> I'm not 100% certain, but the X11 servers on your xxx.xxx.86.0 subnet
> my be relying upon XDMCP broadcasts to locate the FreeBSD machine
> on the same subnet.  Broadcasts cannot be routed between subnets
> and therefore your Windows XP system on your xxx.xxx.87.0 subnet
> won't be responded to by your FreeBSD machine.  Rather than using
> broadcasts, you should be able to configure the X11 server software
> on your Windows XP system to do a direct XDMCP query of the FreeBSD
> system by specifying it's hostname or IP address.  Because a specific
> IP address is used the XDMCP query will properly traverse the subnets
> to establish an X11 session.
>
> Mike Thompson

Thanks.  I should have specified in my e-mail that I was using direct
queries and not broadcasts.  Sorry I forgot that detail.  It turns
out that there is a problem with a router here.  The packets were
getting from the xxx.xxx.87.0 to the xxx.xxx.86.0 network just fine but
packets from xxx.xxx.86.0 were not getting to xxx.xxx.87.0.  The network
administrator moved the Windows machine over to the xxx.xxx.86.0 network
so the machine could connect via the X server.

I guess the answer to my question is that it should work, with direct
query, as long as the routers are functioning properly.

Thanks again.

--
Glenn Johnson
USDA, ARS, SRRC			 Phone: (504) 286-4252