Date:      Sat, 03 Mar 2001 06:21:56 -0800
From:      richard childers <fscked@pacbell.net>
To:        "Riley J. McIntire" <rjmcintire@earthlink.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Forwarding a mail file

The second example should work ... with caveats regarding the file size and the
need for split(1).

The first example, with "!"s inserted, hails from the days of UUCP, back in the
days before the Internet (as we know it today) ... when invoking that line with
a shell, one would have to precede each "!" with a backslash to keep the shell
from interpreting it as a historical reference to a previous command. What you
seeing in that example is, amazingly enough, a message being hand-routed with
the sender being able to select exactly what route he wants his packets to
traverse. How baroque it all seems, now, but I remember when being
..!ptsfa!calma!childers was the ultimate ...  <sigh>

Regards,

-- richard

--
Richard A. Childers
Senor UNIX Administrator

# Providing administrative expertise (not 'damage control') since 1986.
# PGP fingerprint: 7EFF 164A E878 7B04 8E9F  32B6 72C2 D8A2 582C 4AFA