Date:      Sat, 24 Mar 2001 00:06:19 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Micke Josefsson" <mj@isy.liu.se>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: How long will 3.x-STABLE live?

Forever, as long as someone wants to make them.

>I am lucky to have upgraded from 2.2-STABLE to 3.x-STABLE before
>the support and
>bugfixes were dropped for the 2.2-branch. And would like to know
>beforehand when
>3-branch will be left out in the cold.
>
>Are there any timeplans for this? Will 3-branch become extinct as soon as

I think your mistaking things.  FreeBSD branches don't become extinct, you
can
always get code if you want, even version 1.1 or even older, like 386BSD 0.1
You just have to find someone somewhere that has the older stuff online.
Extinction is something that happens to commercial software when the vendor
decides to stop selling it because they want to force all future sales to be
of the new stuff.

FreeBSD is a volunteer effort.  Volunteers can work on any damn thing they
want.
The fact that few have elected to work on the older code doesen't mean there
was
a conscious decision to prevent people from maintaining the older code if
they
choose to do so.