Date:      Fri, 25 Jun 1999 05:23:34 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Pritchard <mpp@mpp.pro-ns.net>
To:        sheldonh@uunet.co.za (Sheldon Hearn)
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Revising the rc.conf-related manpages

> On Thu, 24 Jun 1999 12:22:44 EST, Mike Pritchard wrote:
>
> > I don't really like it that rc.conf.local is being taken out of the NAME
> > section.  This makes it so 'whatis' rc.conf.local won't direct the user
> > to this man page, and then they have to go grubbing through /etc trying
> > to figure out what that file is for, instead of being pointed to this
> > man page.
>
> Well now you know why I mailed. My ruse has been foiled. :-)
>
> My understanding is that rc.conf.local is only sourced for backward
> compatibility, and isn't a meaningful part of modern FreeBSD. Is it
> used for a specific purpose beyond overriding the defaults?
>
> If not, then I think my understanding of the situation is correct and
> rc.conf is the only overriding file worth mentioning (except for the
> backward compatibility clause I added).
>
> If I'm wrong, then I'd really appreciate a little education.

All I know is that /etc/rc/defaults/rc.conf still sources it.  If we no
longer encourage use of it, then it should still be mentioned in
the man page, but a note should be made indicating that it is a
depreciated interface and may go away in a future release.

When we actually stop using the file, then all references to it
should disappear from the man pages.  Until then, I feel it should
stay with an explanation of why it shouldn't be used.
--
Mike Pritchard
mpp@FreeBSD.ORG or mpp@mpp.pro-ns.net