Date:      Thu, 18 Nov 1999 10:21:34 +0100
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@scc.nl>
To:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
Cc:        Vadim Belman <voland@plab.ku.dk>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pwd_mkdb max uid warning.

Sheldon Hearn wrote:

> On 17 Nov 1999 20:51:48 +0200, Vadim Belman wrote:
>
> >       I see only one reason for this: for keeping compatibility with
> >       old utilities which don't use uid_t but relay on unsigned short
> >       values. Am I right? Is there any other reason? Or, perhaps, this
> >       code is obsolete and may be removed without harm?
>
> This code is not obsolete.  Bruce Evans brought to my attention at least
> two problem areas:  IDs used by NFS, and IDs used by the linuxulator.
> The latter one is interesting... The linuxulator will take a UID that
> overflows a u_int16_t by 1 (resulting in the value 0) as root's UID.

I'm thinking of introducing a mapping for this. Every uid/gid that can't
be represented by the Linuxulator can optionally be mapped onto a single
uid/gid (settable through sysctl).

--
Marcel Moolenaar                        mailto:marcel@scc.nl
SCC Internetworking & Databases           http://www.scc.nl/