Date:      Thu, 26 Mar 2020 09:49:11 +0000
From:      Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve@sohara.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: drive selection for disk arrays

On Wed, 25 Mar 2020 15:19:35 -0700
David Christensen <dpchrist@holgerdanske.com> wrote:

> Have anyone seen a failure involving multiple similar drives all failing
> in the same mode at the same time?

	Not quite that, but I have seen a new array populated with new
drives from the same batch have a drive fail and while the replacement was
being populated another drive failed. Fortunately it was a new array
undergoing testing before going into production so there was no data that
mattered on it.

	For home use I go for second hand 3.5" enterprise grade SAS drives.
They've usually been used in nearline backup servers and similar low load
environments and are nicely run in past the front of the bathtub with most
of the flat bit still to go. I've had less trouble with these than with any
big name consumer drives and they cost a lot less.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve@sohara.org>