Date:      Tue, 09 Feb 99 18:26:06 -0800
From:      Rahul Dhesi <dhesi@rahul.net>
To:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Spontaneous reboots

I have a machine running 3.0-stable that reboots once every 2-3 days.
I had crash dumps disabled, and there was no hint in /var/log/messages
about why it rebooted.  So I enabled crash dumps by setting

   dumpdev="/dev/da0s1b"

in rc.conf.

The next time the machine rebooted, I happened to have a video display
connected to it and I happened to be nearbuy, and I saw the error
message 'page fault in kernel mode" (or something similar).  I had to
run elsewhere while this was going on, so I missed the display during
the filesystem sync and reboot that followed.  Later I checked
/var/log/messages and the only unusual thing I saw was the error
message:

   savecore: no core dump

and no other mention of any reason for the crash dump.

I checked rc.conf and so far as I can tell crash dumps are enabled,
and savecore goes to /var/crash, and there is 300 M free on it, and
/var/crash/minfree says '2048'.  I typed 'sysctl kern.dumpdev' and got
'kern.dumpdev: { major = 4, minor = 131073 }' which indicates that crash
dumps are definitely enabled.  I did 'ls -l /dev/da0s1b' (since da0s1b
is my swap and dump device) and got:

brw-r-----  1 root  operator    4, 0x00020001 Jan 25 20:11 /dev/da0s1b

which I think matches the output from sysctl above.

da0s1b has 512M while physical memory is only 256M, so there should be
plenty of space for the crash dump.

More later if/when I get more info.

BTW, SunOS does not require crash dumps to be enabled in order to find
out the reason for the crash.  SunOS logs a kernel backtrace into
/var/log/messages after each panic.  I don't think FreeBSD does.  It
would be nice if the panic message and a stack dump could be saved
whether or not a full crash dump is being saved.

Rahul