Date:      Fri, 5 Jul 2002 11:26:28 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
To:        abul2000@pisem.net (Bulatov Anton)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /usr

> Hello!
> I have a question about FreeBSD:
> When I install FreeBSD, in fdisk i have to set some
> disk space for /usr /var / and swap.......(I have
> 1200MB hard disk) why do I get this message "Too Big"
> when i try to set disk space for /usr over 644MB?

Somthing about this doesn't sound right.
Why would you be using fdisk to "set disk space for /usr /var /
and swap?
You would use fdisk(8) just to create the slice for FreeBSD
and set the master boot record if needed on a disk.  If you
are only using (a single version of) FreeBSD, then you only
need one slice that takes up the whole disk (minus the master
boot block which takes up some space).

Then you would use disklabel(8) to break up that slice in to
partitions for root /usr /var swap, etc - however you want
to divide up your mountable partitions.

Don't create a separate primary slice for each mountable partition.
You'll have the happiest time if you use fdisk(8) to find out what
the system thinks is the appropriate geometry for the disk and then
make one big slice that goes along with that.  Then use disklabel(8)
to edit the label for appropriately sized mountable partitions.

////jerry