Date:      Thu, 31 May 2001 10:08:35 -0400
From:      "Pulsifer, Allen" <pulsifer@aware.com>
To:        "'choepete@mindspring.com'" <choepete@mindspring.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-database@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-database@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: oracle8.1.7 on freebsd 4.3-stable

Hi Peter,

I didn't get any dates in high school either.

I tried the same thing about 6 months ago, and got the same results.

As far as I know, everyone running Oracle 8.1.7 under FreeBSD
ran the installer under Linux, tarred up the result and
copied it over to FreeBSD.

At some point (8.1.6?), Oracle rewrote the installer in Java,
and incorporated the JRE into the distribution.  Since then,
the installer has not been able to run under FreeBSD.

There was some more information about JRE issues posted to
either the emulation or the ports list a while back.

Good luck,

Allen