Date:      Sun, 31 Mar 2002 14:20:38 -0500
From:      Alan Eldridge <alane@geeksrus.net>
To:        Geoffrey Mainland <mainland@apeiron.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Ports List <ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   print/latex & print/tex dependencies considered harmful.

We've had several instances in the past couple of months of people
accidentally (and without any warning) really screwing up their teTeX
installations by installing once of the few ports that sucks in
print/texinfo or print/latex, which depend on the equally obsolete port
print/tex. It usually takes several days of email tag, chasing package
denpendencies, to get their systems cleaned up so that they can use TeX
for anything again.

Every person I've helped with these issues has strongly requested that
the print/latex and print/tex ports check for teTeX and abort
installation if it is found. I'm finally going to get around to PR'ing
that in the next couple of days, as "I installed <some-port>, and now
TeX doesn't work at all." is becoming a FAQ. As print/texinfo
maintainer, I've PR'd its deletion. Ideally, print/{la,}tex should
follow it into the darkness.

Hope this clarifies the issues involved. Sorry that I wasn't crystal
clear on it in the first place.

--
AlanE
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - HST