Date:      Fri, 03 Mar 1995 14:24:34 -0800
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@estienne.CS.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        "Peter Sayers psayers@btr.com" <psayers@btr.btr.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Adaptec PCI controller support

>Hi,
>
>I'm just trying to install FreeBSD on my PC and I instructed the
>PC supplier to fit an Adaptec controller which they did but they
>installed a 2940 PCI controller. The current version of 2.0 from
>freebsd.cdrom.com does not support this. Is there a current
>release that does or plans for one in the near future or shuold
>I consider persuading my supplier to swap it for one of the
>currently supported PCI controllers.
>
>Thanks for your help
>Peter

I would suggest trying the 2.0_950210SNAP release.  It "may" properly
probe the card.  If it gets past the probe, it should work fine.  There
is some funny timing issue on the probe that is causing problems.  I
wrote the driver, but I did it blind.  I have a 2742 and 2842, but no
294x card to test it on, so fixing these problems has been slow going.

--
Justin T. Gibbs
TCS Instructional Group - Programmer/Analyst 1