Date:      Thu, 29 May 2003 16:47:39 -0700
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Roger Merritt <mcrogerm@stjohn.ac.th>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: portupgrade issue

--ibTvN161/egqYuK8

On Thu, May 29, 2003 at 09:48:25AM +0700, Roger Merritt wrote:
> At 08:04 AM 5/29/03, you wrote:
> >On Wed, May 28, 2003 at 05:51:33PM -0700, Joe Kelsey wrote:
> >: follow the suggestion and actually *use* the suggested refuse file you
> >: will then be unable to follow the other suggestion and ever use
> >: portupgrade, or else fix portupgrade so that it does not dump it guts
> >: out if a language dependency is missing.
> >:
> >: Very frustrating and totally unnecessary.  Especially since I now have
> >: to waste disk space on language ports.
> >
> >Can't you specify the languages in the "IGNORE_CATEGORIES" portion of
> >pkgtools.conf?  Then you should be able to safely skip it.
>=20
> Doesn't work. I tried it. It doesn't prevent 'portsdb -U' from complainin=
g=20
> about the missing dependencies. I don't know what it "does* do, but I, to=
o,=20
> had to discard my refuse file to cut down on the number of error messages.

The problem is that if you choose not to install certain categories
then there is no way to generate a consistent INDEX, because some
ports that you have installed depend on ports that you have chosen not
to install.  This is not a portupgrade problem, it's that you're
trying to do something impossible and unsupported with your ports
collection.

Kris

--ibTvN161/egqYuK8

--ibTvN161/egqYuK8--