Date:      Sat, 11 Nov 2000 08:37:55 -0800
From:      Drew Tomlinson <drewt@writeme.com>
To:        'Mike Meyer' <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: What Is config> During Boot?

I don't really intend to run this way.  I only did it thinking that if I
could ping the address, then the card is working.  Ultimately, either the
card will have an IP from my ISP and be connected to an external DSL modem.

> > 4. Then I recompiled and restarted the system.  Upon
> restart, I get the
> > following message:
> > ed0 at port 0x240-0x25f iomem 0xd8000 irq 9 drq 0 on isa0
> > ed0: address 00:40:05:66:b2:55, type NE2000 (16 bit)
> > ed1 at port 0x260-0x27f iomem 0xd0000 irq 11 on isa0
> > ed1: address 00:40:05:66:b2:52, type NE2000 (16 bit)
>
> This is good - it means the system found them both.
>
> > Mounting root from ufs:/dev/ad0s1a
> > ed1: device timeout
> > ed1: device timeout
>
> The device timeouts are likely because you've got something else on
> IRQ 11. Check that, and change it if it's the problem.

Nothing shows in dmesg regarding IRQ 11 other than ed1.  In a different
message, I inquired about a command or port that would scan the system and
show what IRQs are in use.  Besides dmesg, someone (Otter) suggested
"vmstat -i".  I don't see any IRQ 11 in the output:

108 Blacksheep# vmstat -i
interrupt      total      rate
fdc0 irq6           2        0
ata0 irq14      58762        0
ata1 irq15      36132        0
sio0 irq4        5606        0
sio1 irq3           2        0
ppc0 irq7           5        0
ed0 irq9         8109        0
clk irq0      7429021       99
rtc irq8      9509463      127
Total        17047102      229

> > Then thinking that "at isa?" means "probe and see what you
> find", I removed
> > everything after "at isa?" and recompiled again.  This time
> only ed0 was
> > found but it still worked.
>
> Put that stuff back. "at isa?" means "I don't know which ISA bus it's
> on, try these values at all the ones in the machine." Removing the
> information about port, irq, etc. means to try the default values for
> that device, and there isn't one there.

So if I understand the other part of your message properly, ed0 worked only
because it is defined in the kernel.conf file? And otherwise, neither card
would work?

> > So now I'm looking things over and see that at the
> beginning of dmesg, there
> > lines like this:

> > config> en ed0
> > config> po ed0 0x240
> > config> ir ed0 9
> > config> iom ed0 0xd8000
> > config> f ed0 0
> > config> q
> >
> > What is "config>" and should there be something there for
> ed1 as well?  Is
> > this my problem?  I'd appreciate any help, thoughts,
> nudges, etc.  I'm new
> > to both Unix and FBSD so I may be missing something really basic.
>
> Some one confined ed0 properly for you via the userconfig option. This
> does the same thing as "ed0 at isa? port 0x240 irq 9 iomem 0xd8000" in
> the kernel config file. You could use this to set up ed1 instead of
> the kernel config file - but if you've got an IRQ conflict, it won't
> work any better than the kernel config.

That someone would be the installation program.  :)  I didn't know ANYTHING
about Unix or FreeBSD before I installed this system in September.  But I'm
learning...  Thanks for all of your help!!!  So you think that the ultimate
problem is an IRQ conflict?  If I remove ed1 NIC, is there some way to scan
the system and see what is available?  Is vmstat -i a good option?

Thanks again,

Drew