Date:      Sat, 12 Jul 2003 11:41:20 -0400
From:      "thornton" <gonesurfing@nc.rr.com>
To:        "Dragoncrest" <dragoncrest@voyager.net>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: name all the uses for samba

Another great tool for FreeBSD is djbdns.  It is a nameserver suite, that is
very easy to setup and is very secure.  The cache and nameserver components
are split unlike bind which elimiates many security problems such as
nameserver poisoning.  There is a lot of information on the web, just do a
google search on "freebsd djbdns", and you will find some walk throughs.  An
afternoon of tinkering with it will get you a fast, reliable (mines been
running nonstop for 2 months) ans secure DNS system.

The great thing i've found with freebsd is that you can implement your
infrastructure with much cheaper hardware allowing you to have a dedicated
mailserver, samba server,  and nameserver instead of pilinig two or more on
one machine. It takes patience and time to learn the OS and its software, so
dont rush into any decisions until you feel comforatable with administering
them in a corporate environment.  Good luck.

E Thornton