Date:      Mon, 24 Jul 2000 09:37:07 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        "S.W. Drinkard" <sam@wa4phy.dyndns.org>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: about to give up

S.W. Drinkard writes:
 > Negative.. looked for some way, but there is no console port.. machine
 > has strictly a VGA port.  Best I can do is copy it off the screen.   I
 > don't get a console selection on boot either..  I sent a bunch of info
 > about it to  Drew a few days ago.. stuff from the SRM and sho conf
 > output.

Sam,

Unless I misplaced it, all you sent was the version of the firmware you're running
and your memory configuration:

	Alphaserver console version 4.6-201.  64m on bank 0, 512m on bank 1.

	VMS Pal Revision 0x4000400010538
	OSF Pal Revision 0x400090002012d

	VMS Palcode V.5.56-4
	OSF Palcode x1.45-9

and you then said "too much to copy down all the show conf stuff! "

Please, please, please get a serial console & capture the show conf
output, as well as the machine check output you're seeing.  We're
trying to help, but you really haven't given us enough information.

For what its worth, my test box is running:

SRM Console V5.3-2              VMS PALcode V5.56-7, OSF PALcode V1.45-12

I doubt it, but it might help if you were to upgrade your firmware to
the latest version available at
ftp://ftp.digital.com/pub/DEC/Alpha/firmware/readmes/as2x00.html

Drew