Date:      Sat, 30 Mar 2019 10:25:27 -0600
From:      Rebecca Cran <rebecca@bluestop.org>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        Konstantin Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>, FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>, "freebsd-arch@freebsd.org" <arch@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Adding a new efi-update-loader script: need help understanding Makefile.inc1 for "make installworld"

On 3/24/19 5:57 PM, Warner Losh wrote:

> He's asking for stopping doing a make install in src/stand. I'm thinking
> that's a good thing. We should update the ESP's \efi\freebsd\loader.efi,
> but leave the\efi\boot\bootXXXX.efi alone as part of this new installloader
> phase. Again, only if the ESP is mounted, and we have a default spot for
> it. For this script, I don't think hunting for the ESP is the right way to
> go... which means we need to define a standard place for the ESP to be
> mounted, which we should do before we turn on any of these features.

I booted openSUSE Tumbleweed last night on my ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme
board for the first time in a while and updated it to the latest
revision. This morning I went to boot into FreeBSD and the "FreeBSD"
boot entry had disappeared! Fortunately I have rEFInd installed so I
could select the "UEFI OS" entry and get back into FreeBSD, but that's
another reason we need to be really careful about relying too heavily on
the boot manager variables.

--
Rebecca Cran