Date:      Fri, 7 Dec 2001 05:23:12 +0100
From:      Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: McAfee VirusScan for FreeBSD

On Thu, Dec 06, 2001 at 09:37:13PM -0500, Mike Tancsa wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Dec 2001 06:11:19 +0100, in sentex.lists.freebsd.questions you
> wrote:
>
> >Are virus scanners really worth the effort on FreeBSD?  Just don't open e-mail attachments in Outlook
>
> Sorry, I dont trust my users to do that. I dont think any administrator
> should.  You are just asking for trouble if you leave security and safety
> up to individual users. There will always be a few heard to say, "What a
> lovely wooden horse, just bring it right in"

I agree with that. And that is not because I think all users are
stupid, just because humans are forgetful and if you see a message
apparently from someone you know then you may forget all the
rules and regulations you have been told...I mean if a friend
comes to visit you, then you don't usually check to see if they
have a hand-grenade in their pocket.

The thing is that of course FreeBSD is not going to show symptoms
of the virus, but it may well pass it on - remember the story of
Typhoid Lil :)

I am on a private mailing list of a circle of friends, most of whom
use Outlook Express, since some 2-3 emails a week get circulated
to all the people on this list viruses spread fast and I am often
warned. I explained to one of them the other day that the virus
would not affect me, and could not be transmitted through me
because none of the affected messages would get forwarded
through me and because I generally don't use Microsoft
O/S's or tools. There followed an interesting discussion :)
I may try a conversion job when I next see her ...

Most people really are *not* aware there are alternatives to
Windows (except Apple-Heads).

Ah well, all a bit OT..

--
Regards