Date:      Fri, 11 Apr 2008 13:59:21 -0700
From:      soralx@cydem.org
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Cc:        rklogin@gmail.com, carlsonmark@gmail.com
Subject:   Re: Nvidia GeForce 9500M GS

> >  I'm planning to buy new notebook. So someone please tell me is it
> > GeForce 9500M GS supported? Can i use this graphic card with 3d
> > acceleration? Thank you.
> >
> >  Best regards Erca Gan
>
> This page has the latest Nvidia driver info for FreeBSD:
> http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html
>
> Click on the latest release for FreeBSD, then on the left side of the
> page click "Supported Products List."  That should take you to here
> (for the 169.12 release)
> http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_18897.html
>
> The 9xxx chips do not seem to be supported yet.  8800 is the max as
> far as I can see.  They may be supported soon, but maybe not.  If the
> laptop is widescreen and you are going to be running FreeBSD on it,
> don't get it until the driver supports the graphics card.  Unless you
> can test the laptop first with a FreeBSD live-cd and check for sure,
> you will probably not be able to run the monitor with a widescreen
> resolution.

OTOH, if you check the "archive", you'll find this:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/freebsd_171.06.html

On that page:
"Release Highlights: Added support for GeForce 9600 GT."

I am testing this driver right now with 7600GT, seems like still working.

I looked at the README file in the driver's archive, there are no 9xxx
in the supported list.

> -Mark C.

[SorAlx]  ridin' VS1400