Date:      Thu, 5 Dec 1996 11:22:15 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        vitjok@fasts.com (Victor Rotanov)
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: status of windows, dos and svr4 emulation

Victor Rotanov stands accused of saying:

> Whats the status of windows emulation? When xwin from Willows Software
> will be ready for freebsd? Are there any other windows binary emulators?

1) Various
2) It may be already; you'll have to ask them.  The Willows TWIN XPDK now
   costs $5000.00 a seat, so you may not want to pursue that any further.
3) - Wine (/usr/ports/emulators/wine)
   - bochs (runs win95, http://world.std.com/~bochs/ )

> Whats the status of BSDi's rundos emulator? Why NetBSD's version of
> dosemu cant be ported to FreeBSD?

1) Waiting on vm86 implementation.  Perhaps some words of encouragement
   to Sean Fagan would be in order, or perhaps some real help.
2) See 1)

> When netbsd's svr4 emulation will be ported to FreeBSD?

I don't know.  Perhaps you could do some giving rather than taking and do
the port yourself?

As a general note to the readers of this list :

 There isn't some little group of 'emulation wizards' who have nothing
 else to do other than work on this stuff.  If you think something would
 be worthwhile, _please_ consider contributing yourself.  Even if you
 feel that your programming skills are inadequate, have a go.  It takes
 much less time for one of us to look at your code and give you a review
 than it would for us to do the work from scratch, and time is the one
 resource we are most short of.

 So, if you have a particular stake in some emulation, please think
 about what you might be able to do to help us improve it.

  Please?