Date:      Wed, 3 Mar 2004 13:28:30 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Dag-Erling =?iso-8859-1?q?Sm=F8rgrav?= <des@des.no>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Looking for static analysis tool to generate call graphs

On Wed, 3 Mar 2004, Dag-Erling Sm=F8rgrav wrote:

> Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org> writes:
> > Well, using a scary combination of grep, awk, a long list of "omit this=
"
> > regexp's, and prcc from cflow, I got the following:=20
> >
> >     http://www.watson.org/~robert/freebsd/20040302-sockets.ps
> >
> > Duck and cover.=20
>=20
> Hmm, is there any way you can try to group functions with similar names
> together?  For instance, functions whose names match /^fd.*/ call mostly
> eachother, and the graph would be a lot cleaner if they were placed
> close together.=20

In the most recent revision, I've tried to assign the same rank and color
to certain classes of functions:=20

  System Calls (accept, bind, close, connect, dup, ...)

  Protocol Switch (pru_accept, pru_attach, pru_bind, pr_ctloutput, ...)

  File Descriptor Switch (fo_read, fo_write, fo_poll, ...)

  Socket File Descriptor Functions (soo_read, soo_write, ...)

In addition, I assigned the same color to certain classes of functions:

  Almost System Calls (kern_bind, kern_connect, accept1, ...)

  Protocol Upcalls to Socket Layer (soisdisconnected, soisdisconnected, ...=
)

I'm going to experiment with grouping later today.

robert@fledge.watson.org      Senior Research Scientist, McAfee Research