Date:      Mon, 16 Dec 1996 14:51:47 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        unix@usww.com
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: [Fwd: FreeBSD]

On Sat, 14 Dec 1996 unix@usww.com wrote:

> I dumped SCO and bought FreeBSD on CDROM. I see you have used it as a
> server. What an I missing? I have looked throygh all the documentation
> and have not figured it out. I have played with both kernel and user
> PPP. However I also could never get user PPP to work either. Recompiling
> the kernel was much easier than I thought it would be for pppd.

Our machine is directly connected to the net, which eases things greatly.
The box I'm writing on now is on via user PPP.  The trick to iijppp (as
it's known) is the config file, /etc/ppp/ppp.conf.  You have to set the
serial port and line speed properly.  Then you can do 'term' to drop to a
terminal and type your commands in directly to login.  Once that's
working, you can start writing the login scripts, which are tricky.

> At anyrate I am playing with it. I have spent a couple hundred on books
> that don't answer my question. It might be a case of "I can't see the
> forest for the trees". I can not get connected properly to the internet
> via my isp to accept requests. When I send a request from the browser I
> see the request comming in and the browser is on eternal wait. I
> established the connection with pppd. I have a fixed ip 168.121.181.114
> I am trying to get into. I would like any help you could give in this
> matter.

This depends on what you're trying to do.  In most cases it's a routing
problem.

To fix it:

1.  Go into /etc/sysconfig and disable routed (set 'router=NO').
2.  After getting connected with ppp, type

add 0 0 HISADDR

This adds a default route to the other side.

Make sure that ping, telnet, ftp, lynx/www, etc. work before trying to
contact the machine from the other side.  See the output of 'netstat -rn',
the routing table, for clues.

> I know it can be done via an IP because I am using a Windows for
> Workgroups version server with no problem. I just don't like DOS.

:)

Hope this helps.  Please address questions to questions@freebsd.org,
during the holidays I don't check my personal mail much.