Date:      Sat, 20 Jul 2002 17:29:09 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Lawrence Mayer <Lawrence.Mayer@dsg.ki.se>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   many packages missing on ftp

Hi,

The precompiled package collection
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/packages/
hasn't been updated since 2-3 July. Moreover, during that update, many
new ports (which had been committed to the ports tree before 2 July)
didn't get posted (as precompiled packages).

For example (there are many more), as of 20 July, the following
precompiled packages STILL haven't been posted on ftp, even though their
ports were committed before 2 July:

precompiled package=09    port committed
missing from ftp
as of 20 July

downloader-2.02.tgz=09=0924 June
freetype2-2.1.2.tgz=09=0928 June
xfce-3.8.16_1.tgz=09=0927 May
metacity-2.3.987_1.tgz=09=0912 June
metacity-setup-0.6.tgz=09=0927 June
rox-1.3.2.tgz=09=09=0912 June
rox-session-0.1.16.tgz=09=0921 June
links-2.0.tgz=09=09=0928 June
mutt-1.4.tgz=09=09=0922 June

ALL of the above precompiled packages are available on bento:
http://bento.freebsd.org/errorlogs/packages-4-latest/
And I can find no package building errors for any of them:
http://bento.freebsd.org/errorlogs/4-latest/

So why haven't these packages been copied from bento to ftp?

The ftp package collection is not just out of date, it's incomplete. For
example, downloader, xfce, metacity, metacity-setup, rox, rox-session, and
mutt are not available on
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/packages/ in ANY version. These
applications mysteriously dissappeared 2-3 July when the ftp package
collection was last updated.

To my knowledge, http://bento.freebsd.org is not mirrored and thus can't
handle the type of download demand placed on FreeBSD's heavily mirrored
ftp servers. Thus, it's important that the package collection is complete
and up-to-date on ftp, not just on bento.

1. Does anyone know why so many precompiled packages, all available on
bento, are missing from ftp?

2. Should we think about changing routines so that the ftp package
collection stays more complete and up-to-date in the future?

3. Would it be helpful if I submit this email as a problem report
with send-pr(1)?

Friendly Greetings,
Lawrence Mayer <lawmay@ki.se>
Ume=E5, Sweden