Date:      Fri, 7 Jun 2002 18:19:20 +0200
From:      Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely5.cicely.de>
To:        Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com>
Cc:        ticso@cicely.de, Joao Pedras <jpedras@webvolution.net>, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sync cache

On Fri, Jun 07, 2002 at 08:08:45AM -0700, Tom Samplonius wrote:

> On Thu, 6 Jun 2002, Bernd Walter wrote:
>
> > Even if they do not need the command they should have implemented
> > it as a nop.
>
>   I don't think that is a good idea for a device to lie about what it
> supports.  The illegal command response is an appropriate response for an
> unimplemented command, so OS knows that the command did not work.  FreeBSD
> simply logs it to the console, and it is harmless.

If the device has nvram based cache it's completely legal to implement
sync cache as a nop, as there realy is nothing to do.
In short: it does not lie when doing it.
And the OS/User knows it's save to power off.
In the current situation noone really knows if there is unsave data.
It *does* harm if I don't know when I can savely power down.

>   BTW, most SCSI-SCSI RAID boxes don't implement the cache flush command.

Many RAID boxes have questionable command support.
But that doesn't mean it's a good choice after all.
They havn't thought about that simple command, which realy gives a bad
taste.
How could I beleave they have thought about the real critical commands?

ticso@cicely.de         Usergroup           info@cosmo-project.de