Date:      Sat, 7 Sep 2002 02:09:47 -0700 (PDT)
From:      magudexter <magudexter@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Updating the system means recompiling the ports also?

Hi.
Here is a snip from the Handbook

You must now compile the source code for the kernel.
There are two procedures you can use to do this, and
the one you will use depends on why you are rebuilding
the kernel, and the version of FreeBSD you are
running.
-----
If you have installed only the kernel source code, use
procedure 1.

If you are running a FreeBSD version prior to 4.0, and
you are not upgrading to FreeBSD 4.0 or higher using
the make world procedure, use procedure 1.

If you are building a new kernel without updating the
source code (perhaps just to add a new option, such as
IPFIREWALL) you can use either procedure.

If you are rebuilding the kernel as part of a make
world process, use procedure 2.

If you have not upgraded your source tree in any way
(you have not run CVSup, CTM, or used anoncvs), then
you should use the config, make depend, make, make
install sequence.
-------

The first procedure is the config/make
depend/make/make install and the second is make
buildkernel/installkernel.

Here is the link:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/kernelconfig-building.html

Thanks again for your time,