Date:      Mon, 16 Oct 2000 09:51:36 -0700
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Laurence Berland <stuyman@confusion.net>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Starting to code

* Laurence Berland <stuyman@confusion.net> [001016 09:46] wrote:
> What's a good place to start if you're a university student with limited
> hardware who wants to jump in and get going with the FreeBSD code.
> Right now I've got a PPro 200 with 32 MB of ram and lots of disk space
> (~50 gigs).  10 gigs or so is used by FreeBSD-Stable.  I'm thinking of
> tossing Current on also, and maybe making the cvs repo a separate
> partition so I can share it between current and stable.

This is probably a good setup to have for your hacking.

> Mostly at this point I'm looking for a way to jump head first into the
> code.  Where's a good starting point?

How to become a freebsd hacker in 3 (not so) easy steps:

1) figure out what you want to work on or learn more about.
2) look at the code in the system, become utterly confused.
3) ask on freebsd-hackers or irc (zb^3 on efnet/irc.freebsd.org)
   and be enlightened.

If you can't accomplish step 1, take a look at the PR system and
see if you can close a problem report or at least bring it up for
dicussion if you think you see a partial solution.

best of luck,