Date:      Wed, 22 Aug 2001 14:12:56 -0700
From:      "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Murray Stokely <murray@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Handbook PostScript output > 90 Megabytes

--==_Exmh_-1475382504P

If memory serves me right, Murray Stokely wrote:

>   I certainly think the excellent screenshots are worth the bloat at
> almost any cost, but is there some way we can optimize our .scr ->
> .eps conversion so that users can once again actually download the PDF
> / PostScript versions from the FTP site?

Yow!

OK, it looks like the PS to PDF conversion shrinks the file down to
something which, while still hefty, is at least manageable.  From my
last Handboook build of last week:

nimitz:handbook% ls -ls book.{ps,pdf}
  5456 -rw-r--r--  1 bmah  bmah   5576031 Aug 16 14:53 book.pdf
 89576 -rw-r--r--  1 bmah  bmah  91664873 Aug 16 14:53 book.ps

Wish I had some ideas on this one.  I agree with you that we really
really really want to keep the screenshots.

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_-1475382504P

--==_Exmh_-1475382504P--