Date:      Sat, 14 Jun 2003 21:12:50 -0700
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        cp <cp@olympus.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4.0 Release vs ssh2/sshd2

--VbJkn9YxBvnuCH5J

On Sat, Jun 14, 2003 at 08:31:04PM -0700, cp wrote:
> I almost feel guilty asking this because I think I know
> the answer. We did a pkg_add of ssh2 from freebsd
> and installed it but can't run getting an ld-elf error=20
> for an undefined symbol "__stdoutp".=20
>=20
> These two servers have 4.0 Release from March of
> 2000. Is this release just way too old to be installing a port
> dated May 2002?

Yes.  Packages are built against releases and against RELENG_4.

> If so, should I use the old ssh off=20
> the 2000 cd (even though there are security problems)
> rather than remain with open telnet/ftp we've used for=20
> years?=20

You could try compiling the port instead of using a prebuilt package,
but you might be out of luck because you're running such an old
release.

On the other hand, if you're still running a stock 4.0-RELEASE system
then you are vulnerable to other security problems anyway.

Kris
--VbJkn9YxBvnuCH5J

--VbJkn9YxBvnuCH5J--