Date:      	Wed, 2 Aug 1995 15:15:27 -0700
From:      "Mike O'Brien" <obrien@antares.aero.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.0.5 Eager to go into swap

Garrett sez:
> Actually, the same `lorder ${OBJS} | tsort' technique ought to have
> some beneficial effect.  This doesn't group together commonly-used
> routines, but it does group modules near each other based on
> dependency.

I remember when 'symorder' was first hacked together at Rand.  I think
you guys still use it.  The whole purpose was to speed up things like 'ps'
by preverting the order of symbols, so the ones 'ps' needed were at the
front of the symbol table of /vmunix.

Seems to me that you could get 90% of the win for 10% of the effort by
doing something similar for libraries.  You all pretty much know what
the common routines are, and if you don't, then profiling random utilities
and editors for a couple of days will tell you.  Then just put those
names in a file and create a simple utility that orders the library so
the files containing those routines are together.

Mike O'Brien