Date:      Thu, 14 Nov 1996 09:04:41 -0800 (PST)
From:      Michael Dillon <michael@memra.com>
To:        isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Decision in Router Purchase

On Thu, 14 Nov 1996, Jim Dixon wrote:

> Other problems: the logic for each port is on a small daughterboard.
> This is held in only by friction.  There is a device below one of the
> daughterboards -- the one for port 0, unfortunately -- that is too
> high (because it is socketed), so you can't get the daughterboard all
> the way in without causing it to bow.  Then over time it gradually works
> its way out.

You should call ET and specifically ask about this problem. It the device
was too high on some units due to a socket that may have been solved by
mounting it directly with no socket so this may no longer be a problem on
newer units.

> The Cisco 2501 would be my last choice.  If you are using PPP or Cisco
> HDLC to talk to your provider, I would recommend the SDL card plus John
> Hays' FreeBSD driver.  If you are using frame relay the ET card is the
> only choice with FreeBSD.
>
> Last time I checked the ET card was significantly more expensive than
> the SDL card.

Before deciding this you should read the info at http://www.etinc.com that
compares the ET and other products.

Michael Dillon                   -               ISP & Internet Consulting
Memra Software Inc.              -                  Fax: +1-604-546-3049
http://www.memra.com             -               E-mail: michael@memra.com