Date:      Tue, 23 Nov 1999 15:02:13 -0600
From:      Russell Cattelan <cattelan@thebarn.com>
To:        martin.kraft@fal.de
Cc:        Roger Hardiman <roger@cs.strath.ac.uk>, freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ES1373/1373 driver now committed to -stable {was: icecast on  3.3-STABLE

Martin Kraft wrote:

> Roger Hardiman wrote:
> >
> > Well Kim, your dream has come true.
> > I committed Russells patch for ES1371/1373 to -STABLE yesterday.
> > This means FreeBSD now supports the later revision
> > Ensoniq and SoundBlaster PCI 16/64/128 cards (in theory)
>
> Fine. I'm using it since several weeks.
>
> But I think, it is not yet totally finished:
>
> On oct. 25, I wrote (to this list and to Russel):
>
> * Unfortunatedly I encountered another problem: I wasn't able to change
> * the LINE input's VOLUME. I modified the line volume using DAP's
> * X Mixer. FreeBSD's mixer reported the changed values, but input
> * volume did not change effectively.

Sorry about this... it has been on my list of things to look at.
I haven't had a chance to drop the card into a 3.3 machine lately.
guess I should scavenge some parts and put together another machine.

> I cvsup'd 3.3-stable last weekend, including the 1371 stuff. Recompiled
> my kernel and repeated the test. No improvement.
>
> In fact, I was not able to record this cd from our concert by means of
> the PCI128 and had to use an old SB 16. So this is a strong problem for
> me, because I bought the PCI128 for its better A/D converter.

What motherboard/chip set are you using?
I found some chatter on the ALS mailing list about none intel chip set
motherboards not working with the new PCI128s.

> I also would like to report another observation: Playing music via
> line out, connected to my active speakers, there are some bad sound
> effects at very loud parts of the music. I can not give the exact
> technical expression for the effect, but it seems to be a kind of
> dynamic limit of the system. (Even with mixer vol 40 and low speaker vol.)

Does it sort of sound like cracking in the high ranges?
I have heard some clipping in the high end.

Unfortunately from reviews I have found the 1371 doesn't perform
as well as the 1370.

Note: I tried the OSS driver just as a test to see if the sound was
any different... I couldn't find any differences.